In Memory of Ruthie

It’s been said, Heaven is richer as of today. I learned my very sweet friend Ruthie Marek lost her battle to cancer this week. No matter how many times I repeat that sentence in my head, I cannot seem to convince myself it is true. I don’t want to believe it is true.

The first time I met Ruthie was July 2011, when I drove to Westlake Village to photograph her home. Upon greeting me at the door, she was beaming with excitement, and her joy was infectious. As I entered, her home was warm and welcoming. The kind of place you could curl up in a chair and lose yourself for hours. Every corner of her home spoke to her love for her family. And Ruthie had this way of making you feel special just being in her presence. It goes without saying, from the first time we met I adored her.

Over the course of the past 2 1/2 years, we would occasionally run into each other at antique stores and garden shops. Ruthie always had great taste. We would stand in the middle of shop isles and easily chat for over an hour. She shared with me the battle she was fighting with cancer, although she always focused on the positive, even when things were rough. I remember when I emailed her one night to let her know her home was going to be Cottage of the Month (November 2011). She replied “The timing to run this now was a nice diversion for me, and you didn’t even know I was in the hospital”. She was right, I had no idea she was there. But I was thankful it brought her a little joy.

The last time I saw Ruthie was in the Spring, when we lost our orange tabby kitty, Chloe. Ruthie brought me a posy filled with Alyssum, one of Ruthie’s favorite garden flowers. At the time she noted “I added daisies because I think they’re a ‘happy’ flower”. And anyone that knew Ruthie might agree, she was always thinking of others, just another one of her many endearing traits.

I hope you don’t mind my sharing about my friend Ruthie. She was and will continue to be loved and lovingly remembered by the many people she touched. May she live in the hearts of all that knew her.

greenapple

Till next time, click and keep up with us on our favorite sites…

facebook-300-n433323323344googleplus-300-n533323323344pinterest-300-n533323323344instagram-300533323323344rss-300-n533323323344linkedin-300-n533323323344twitter-300-n533323323344
Get new posts delivered to your inbox for free!
Our Subscription Box is now working! It’s taken us numerous tries, but we’ve worked out all the kinks. Please subscribe to our blog using the box below…
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

23 Responses to In Memory of Ruthie

1. Di says:

So Sorry for your loss, how sweet she sounds. Thank you for sharing her story with us. Di@Cottage-wishes

2. So sorry she was to young, my condolences for her family and children so soon to loss there mom her house was so beautiful and cozy home.
    RP Ruthie.
    Blessing
    Isora
    XOX

3. kelly says:

She sounds like a very special lady indeed. It is good to know of the wonderful, kind and strong people that have lived even when do not know them and they live on the other side of the world so thank you for sharing this.

4. AntiqueChase says:

I met Ruthie through my blog… we became fast friends the second I met her in person. She was really one of a kind… I will miss her too! XXOO Marcy

5. She must have been a beautiful person. Loved her blog and taste!
    Thanks for sharing!

6. Scat says:

May she rest in peace. God bless you for sharing.

7. Debby says:

Oh no, Ruthie from Ruthie’s Gift. I read her lovely blog. I knew things weren’t well but didn’t know that she had passed. So sad knowing how young her children are. I am sure your heart is breaking knowing her as a friend. So very sorry. God Bless her family.

8. Melanie says:

I am so sorry to hear this terribly sad news. She sounded like a wonderful, happy, compassionate woman. My sympathies go out to you and her family.

9. Annette T. says:

So sad for her family and friends to lose such a beautiful woman. I remember her house and loved her family room. My heart aches for her family.

10. I’m so sorry about your friend. I read through her blog, and yes her home was lovely- but you could see through her words what a lovely person she was.

11. Art and Sand says:

I don’t know why, but as I read the story of your friend Ruthie, I pictured an older woman. It made me even sadder when I went to the cottage of the month tour and saw that she was a young mother. My thoughts are with you and Ruthie’s family.

Merry Christmas

12. Sending hugs and prayers to you and Ruthies family. We lost my husbands Mom last month to cancer its just so sad xoxo

13. Cecilia says:

I’m so sorry. It’s never easy to lose someone and perhaps a little sadder when it’s caused by such an awful disease. Praying for you and Ruthie’s family to be filled with comfort.

14. I am so very sorry to read of the passing of your friend Ruthie. I followed the link to her cottage tour and could see that her special home exudes love and comfort. My heart goes out to Ruthie’s family and friends, but especially to her children. It’s never easy to say good-bye, but all the harder at such a young age. Thank you for sharing this beautiful lady with us.

15. Lily says:

I was looking through the cottage of the month archives and viewed Ruthie’s house several months ago. I read she had cancer and linked over to her blog to see how she was doing. It was apparent that she was going strong, but also quite ill. I was so touched by her blog that I told my bible study group about her. We were all in tears. I sent Ruthie and email about how touched I was by her blog and that my friends were all praying for her. I received a lovely response. I have continued checking but only yesterday read that she had died. I feel such sadness for her family.

I am rather new to following decorating blogs. One thing I have noticed is how many of the ladies who share their decorating ideas are also women of strong faith. From the Bible verses on chalkboards to the Rosaries and Madonna’s of my own faith, so many of you bring a sense of God to your homes and reflect His beauty in creation. So did Ruthie. I only knew her through her blog but I could tell she was special.

16. Lily says:

17. I have been following Ruthie’s blog for a while (found her through yours). I was touched by her sweetness and love without ever knowing her. I would check just to see if there was any update, praying for her strength. Her last post allowed you to almost feel her slipping away. Thank you for posting. And thank you for your blog as well.

18. Terri says:

I just saw this on your page….. I was blessed to be a follower on Ruthie’s blog and kept up with her thru this venue…. her comments … remarks were always uplifting …. always a blessing… Her home was a reflection of the beautiful person she was / is….and she always responded when I would send an email asking about her… all the way from Florida!!! I was thinking about her and had not seen any updates… even after I sent a Christmas E card…. I continued to pray for her and her family…. and now I see she has left us… Thank you for sharing this news with us… My heart is heavy this morning for the loss that her family is experiencing… but we surely know that she is rejoicing today and totally healthy!!! I never met her in person but I can honestly say she blessed my life via her Blog and our E Conversations!!!! Terri

19. Nancy says:

Jennifer, thank you for this post. I came over to your blog today via Anita’s Far Above Rubies blog. I’ve stopped in here from time to time, but today I signed up for a subscription and I’m following your FB page. Why now? Because of this post. I’ve always loved your blog, but today, reading this post, I got a different glimpse of you. I saw you up close and personal. Your tribute to Ruthie is so beautifully written. It drove me to read the November 2011 feature of her home, which then drove me to her blogs. Emotion nearly overcame me as I read her messages of faith. She lived it the way Jesus taught it. I’m so sorry I didn’t know her before the Lord called her home. I’m so glad her blogs are still accessible. I’ll be spending more time their for encouragement in my own walk with the Lord. Wow. So much to think about today. You said you hoped we didn’t mind your sharing about Ruthie. I’d mind if you didn’t, Jennifer. You gave Ruthie’s family a beautiful gift. A way for her to be remembered. God bless you, ~ Nancy

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: