Doors and Floors

For the past six months or so, we’ve been heavily debating a few big decorating decisions. Not knocking-down-walls kind of contemplation, but it definitely has dramatic effect and impact.

Meet my interior door project. We have 9 interior doors (6 in the hallway alone). For a small 1200 square foot ranch, that’s a lotta doors. (oh, and I decided to get my hair cut above my shoulders. I had my gal cut 9” off of the length. I love how much lighter it feels!)

Here’s a before look at the hallway doors. Not that there was anything wrong with the white, but I was getting pretty bored with it.

(Insert big yawn here…)

Interior Door Color Back Story:

I’m a die-hard Ralph Lauren paint fan. I’ve used their Black Truffle paint in our living room and was planning on carrying the same color into the hallway and closet doors. Ever since Home Depot stopped carrying RL’s paint, it hasn’t been the same. I had Black Truffle mixed three times yesterday, all with disappointing results. It looked maroon-ish, not black. Mind you, I’m going for High Gloss this time around, so that might be the cause of the color fail. I finally decided to go with Behr’s Pure Black in High Gloss. It’s a rich, deep, true black. Not nearly as smokey as Black Truffle, but I’m actually quite pleased with it.

Our next decorating dilemma has been our carpeted bedrooms. Both of our very sweet 15 year old cats have elevated health issues, which how can I say gently…Skylar has Feline IBS and prefers our bedroom carpet to his litter box for his #2’s. We tried steaming the carpet, which ended up staining the carpet and made it look surprisingly worse.

img_0521

Final decision: remove the carpet!

We love our Allure Vinyl Flooring so much, we’ve decided to carry it into the three bedrooms.

floor2

You might remember when we pulled the old yucky carpet out of the living room when we first moved in, and laid the Allure Flooring in “Country Pine”. We are often asked about our flooring, and when we originally laid it we didn’t really document the process.

bareflooringlvlivingcuttingfloor

So this time around, we plan on doing a full photo tutorial to hopefully illustrate just how easy it is to install.

::: In other news :::

I’m selling my much coveted dresser table!

I’ve loved and adored it for over a decade, but it’s time for the dresser table and I to part. It features three functional drawers, claw foot legs, wavy curvy front, walnut stained top, and the best part, a large storage shelf for the bottom. Plus it’s been featured in countless magazines and features ; )

The first person to show up at my door with $140 bucks will be the proud new owner!

dresser2dresser1dresser3

I’m also thinking about selling our white slipcovered sofa. Just need to find a replacement for it first though, otherwise we’ll be entertaining company on the floor.

::: Ok, quick announcement before I sign off :::

We are going to be selling at the Topanga Vintage Flea Market this Sunday! We will be in our usual space, along Oxnard Blvd. We are so excited to be back at the show. Please come by and say hi!

TVM New Show Flyer

Have a great weekend my friends! Hey, I think I owe you a soup recipe ; )

greenapple

Till next time, click and keep up with us on our favorite sites….

http://www.buttonshut.comFollow Me on Pinterest pinners welcome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

25 Responses to Doors and Floors

1. AntiqueChase says:

WOW, I can’t wait to see the results.

2. Jenn it’s going to be great. Doing a little Jeff Lewis in your house never hurt anything. I am waiting on my camera and then I will show what I did in my bedroom I went very dark grey and I LOVE it….. Happy Fall and have a great weekend.

~~Pattie~~

3. Cindy says:

Oh man… i’d be at your door with $140.00 so fast it would make your head spin if i lived near you! I love that dresser! I’m gonna be watching your floor project too, we have carpet that is starting to buckle and we can’t afford hardwoods… so it’ll be great to see how you guys do this!

Cindy

4. Oh wow I want that dresser but I live too far!!!!! I love that dresser. :( I wish I lived closer too. We used the Allure flooring in our bathroom and laundry room and love it. It went down so easy and cleans easy. I can’t wait to see your end results.
    Kris

5. KATHY says:

That is going to look beautiful!! I loved your paint colors so much that i painted my living room and bedroom Natural canvas.When i saw your rooms that color i loved it.Your home is gorgeous.All the hard work sure payed off.

Kathy

6. Terri says:

If I lived near you… well let’s just say.. I would have been at your door before you could finish this post … Love that dresser…. I have a thing for curvy furniture!! LOL… and those doors are going to look amazing!!! Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality painted her interior door black in her new “Home Project”… very nice!!!! Can’t wait to see the finished product!!!!! :)

7. Hi Jennifer,
    If I lived by you, you bet I’d be running and pushing my way to the front of line, well OK I would say excuse me first..LOL
    I can’t wait to see your hallway, I know its going to look great!. One day I will make it out your way and find you at the flea market.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

8. I LOVE your little fur babies! :)

9. Can’t wait to see your floors. I have been debating painted plywood or the vinyl. Because we have had a few unfortunate pet problems as well. Your black doors are just what I have been craving lately. I actually linked to your blog today in my post about loving black and white! Love them.

10. Oooooh black doors! So awesome! Cute kitties too, just like my orange tabby Cinnamon. :-)

11. Oh…how I wish I lived near you! I would have loved the dresser table! Just a note, you are a very “gifted” decorator! Thank you for sharing.
    Leticia

12. Elyse says:

hi jennifer!

it’s been way too long since i’ve seen what you’re up to. always inspiring and fun!

wishing you a treat-filled halloween!

xo
    elyse

13. Dawn says:

Hi, I found your blog on the Apartment Therapy list of Best Home Design Blogs.

Joni Webb from Cote de Texas blog has touted painting interior doors black for years. We bought our home new 5 years ago and it’s lovely builder beige throughout. I finally got up the courage to paint all 22 doors in our townhome. I used Valspar’s Satin Black latex enamel. It’s ready mixed so the color is true and not too gray. The doors are all 6-panel so I used a small roller, triangle brush and small portrait brush to cover reach everything. It was tedious to put two coats on each door. I knew, with all the examples on the Internet, that the doors would look great but I wasn’t prepared for how much better everything else would look! You’re going to love the transformation in your home.

I look forward to following your blog. Have fun this weekend, Houston has a 3-time a year sale called the Urban Market and we’ll be visiting it.

14. MJ says:

I’m anxious to see the results of the door painting. I was thinking of painting all my doors black as well.

15. Kim says:

Just discovered your blog – made my husband get up from his college work (and the football game) to show him this table – it is just what I’ve been hunting for!! Two minutes later I see that you want to sell it….sigh. Too bad I live in Texas. :)

16. Brenda says:

I love a brave woman who’s not frightened to splash a bit of dramatic paint around – also I love your superior hair. I would just die for a curly anything!!

17. Melanie says:

Can’t wait to see your glossy black doors! Home Depot stopped carrying RL paint?! Must’ve been recently then, because it was there (at least at my Home Depot) in May.

Your poor kitty with the feline IBS…and your poor carpet! The new wood floors will be beautiful and will be much easier to clean up kitty poop!

18. Debra Hall says:

Wow!! How exciting!! ;))

19. Oh. My. Gosh! I can’t wait to see your doors! I know that they’re going to be fab! I’ve been painting windows in the basement all week…it’s a thankless job that I hope to finish today.

So sorry about your poor kitty’s health issues and your carpet. I have hardwood everywhere (except bedrooms) and a 14 year old yellow lab who has occasional accidents so believe me when I say, you’ll love the wood.

Oh, and one more thing…I want to see your cute new “do”! xo, Kimberly

20. You know how much I love your floors and how wonderful to be adding them to your bedroom, too! Go Adam!! Go Adam!! :) I’ve been thinking a lot about your sweet kitties and hope all is well.

Jen, looking forward to seeing your redo on the doors! Everything you guys do is always top notch!

hugs,
    Becky

21. Bliss says:

Ralph L. saved my painting hiney several times after my first color choices of other brands sucked! It’s the only brand that when I pick a color I like it the first time. Hope I don’t have to paint anything in the near future or that I can find one place in the state of Minnesota that still carries it.

Bliss

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: